Sunday, November 18, 2007

Big Feet

On Saturday morning, Maki, CJ, mom, dad and I headed to Tsukuba to attend Maki's elementary school reunion. Jonathan, Tree, Kevin, Dave and Sue headed out to Ginza and then the Imperial Palace for the day.

We had a few hours to kill before our train to Tsukuba, so mom, dad and CJ went to a jidokan, or Children's playground in the neighborhood. Maki and I headed to Tokyu depato, since I was desperate for a new pair of walking shoes. It seems that my choice of loafers wasn't up to the job of walkin around Tokyo, with its miles of subways and stairs.

Good thing Maki decided to hang with me for a few minutes. I found a couple pairs of Ecco shoes that looked cute but practical. The saleslady asked me for my shoe size, but of course, I didn't know, since Japanese sizes are different from US sizes. Another saleslady arrived to measure my feet. After measuring my feet, the saleslady conferred with another saleslady, and then another. There was a lot of bowing and explaining to Maki, who then explained to me that the store did not carry my shoe size. Whoa. I wear a US women's 8 1/2 medium. I'm hardly a bigfoot, but I guess in Japan, I'm enormous. Come to think of it, I'm taller than most Japanese women and certainly a lot bigger.

Anyway, to make a short story long, we decided to try several pairs of the largest sizes they did have -- 24. I hit the jackpot with a cute pair that actually fit really well. Even though I now feel like a sasquatch, I'm happy with my new Eccos and my feet thank me for the new purchase.

1 comment:

The Nitpicky Consumer said...

LOL! Imagine my SIZE 10 feet in Japan.