Thursday, February 12, 2009

He separated from his mother without incident

Yesterday morning, I dropped off CJ at one of the schools we are considering for kindergarten. This school organizes shadow days for potential students; it's a chance for the school to make sure he's socialized and ready for kindergarten, I guess. But it's also a chance for the students to check out the classrooms and kids.

We got to the school, CJ met the Admissions Director, then she asked him whether he wanted his mom to take him downstairs or give mom a huge and a kiss good-bye. CJ said, "I want to give you a hug and a kiss mom. Good-bye." At that, he gave me a big hug and headed downstairs with no fuss.

Oh my god, is this really my child, all grown up, charging into a new school without any fuss? I still remember his first day of preschool nearly 18 months ago. He was 3, we got to the school, I hung out in the classroom for a few minutes, then I headed for the hallway. CJ was distracted by the toys and one his friends from the neighborhood, so I headed for the stairwell. I was in the stairwell when I heard a loud wail, "where's my mom?" and a huge bout of crying. Oh god, my heart broke but I knew I had to just keep going. It took a few months, but soon he was getting dropped off without incident, cheerfully.

When he had his WPPSI (some test the private schools around here require), the report said, "He separated from his mother without incident." Again, this statement made my heart skipped. CJ really great during the testing. I told him that he was doing a playdate and that I would be downstairs and he simply said okay.

And yesterday, he said good-bye without any fuss and headed to the classroom. A friend who has kids in college says kindergarten is a big, heart-wrenching milestone for the parents. He says other milestones include: when they drive the car for the first time without you, when they go away to college, when they get married. I have a lifetime of smiles and tears ahead of me and I'm ready.

No comments: