Saturday, March 14, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Last summer, I watched in amazement when I saw CJ's friend Bayley jump in the pool and swim to the deep end without a swim vest.  So I was determined to enroll CJ in swimming lessons this Winter so that he'll be ready this Summer to swim without a vest.

We're not members of the Y so I had to wait until non-member enrollment opened.  I went in person on the the first day of non-member enrollment and signed him up for two, back to back lessons.  It might sound a little over-achieving, but I wondered how much he would really learn in a half hour once a week.

CJ's first lesson was last Saturday and he did really well.  His lower lip was a little trembly when I left the pool area but he seemed to do better once he could see me watching him from upstairs.  It was actually hilarious how many parents were glued to the glass, watching their kids.  It's not like the instructors were going to let them drown or anything!

The swim classes are great!  The kids were taught how to enter the water safely, they dog paddled to a little island that they can stand on and be above water, they swam with a noodle, they floated on their backs, and they dog paddled back to the side.  CJ pretty much dog paddled to the island without any help, which shocked the heck out of me.  He did get a lot out of one class but I think it was awesome for him to get two lessons.

Today was his second week of swim classes and he did even better.  I pretty much dropped him off at the pool, told him to sit on the side of the pool and wait for the teacher to start the class.  He simply said, "bye, mom."  No trembly lips and he even entered the water and got on a noodle all by himself.  I was impressed that the teachers gave each kid exactly what they needed.  CJ is comfortable in the water and can dog paddle a little so they don't hold him very much, while the younger kids get more help.  And it's amazing how many instructors there are and how they watch the kids like hawks!  CJ is loving his swim classes!

I don't have pictures because they Y does not allow photos except on special days and only if the kids' parents sign a waiver.  So just imagine CJ in his Thomas the Tank Engine (of course!) swim trunks, blue crocs and big smile on his face.

No comments: