Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Problem with a Foodie Child

Maki, CJ and I went to Rustico last Friday with some friends (MJ stayed home with the nanny.) CJ loves Rustico and loves their kids' menu. He likes their pizza, mac n cheese and chicken tenders. But that night, CJ was listening intently when the waitress described the specials, which included a grilled red snapper over a bed of Isreali couscous. CJ, without hesitating, said "I'll have that."

The waitress was a little unsure but Maki assured her it was fine. He looked at me and said, "I'll eat it if he doesn't want it."

Well, the entree came and CJ at it all up. He ate every bite of the fish and nearly all of the couscous. He ate the mango bits but left the squash.

CJ's entree was $26, while my tortellini was $18! That's the problem with a foodie child: he's an expensive date.

Oh well, what are you supposed to do? I can't exactly say, "no, you can only order off the kids' menu" and then complain later when all he eats is chicken tenders and mac n cheese." God bless the good eaters in this world!

No comments: