Tuesday, April 29, 2008

He says the funniest things

CJ is now 3 1/2 years old, nearly 4 actually and he is saying the funniest, cutest things. My friend Sue said a while ago that I would be amazed by how much CJ will mimic me and Maki, especially our expressions and tone of voice. CJ's recent sayings:

"Oopsies" - when he drops something, something falls off the table.

"Sure!" - when I ask him if he wants to do something, like go out to dinner, or go to the supermarket. He's always very enthusiastic about life.

"Mama, I want to send you an e-mail" - he goes up to my laptop and pretends to type. I guess he's heard me say a thousand times that I just need to send one more e-mail.

"Maki!" - in a tone of voice that sounds just like me!

"I'm not talking to you" - when CJ asked Maki a question, but I answered. Yeah, he's already giving me attitude, but in a good way at least.

"Mama, I sent you a text message" - when I left the house early to attend a meeting, CJ got really upset, so Maki offered to send me a text message. Later that day, I called him and he let me know about my text message. He even wanted to see the text message on my phone when I got home that night.

He now uses "not yet," "actually," and "I'm not yet ready" all the time, as in "Let's brush your teeth - net yet, mama."

CJ is also clearly enjoying language. He makes up rhyming words or he gets really excited when he realized that words rhyme. He'll say "pat, cat, hat - it rhymes, mama!" He'll also make up words that rhyme.

Steven Pinker says that 3-year old are language experts and now I know why.

No comments: