Sunday, April 13, 2008

Joe Dillon comes to Matrix

I was so inspired by Joe Dillon when he came to speak at my Vistage group meeting in January that I invited him to come to Matrix to present to my staff.

About half of the staff attended -- not bad for a Friday morning when a bunch of people were out. Besides, not everyone wants to be lectured about diet and exercise.

Joe did exactly what I expected him to. He was informative, motivating, outrageous and pedantic. His presentation about diet really makes you sit up and think about all the junk that we put into our mouths each day. It makes me feel bad about all the chocolate around the office, and the birthday parties when we serve nothing but pure sugar and more sugar.

But Joe makes an amazing case for healthy living. He is in his 60s and he looks amazing. I guess the bottom line for me is that I want to grow old and live a good life. When I retired, I want to be in good health so that I can travel and keep doing the active things that I do now.

I had skipped my power walking for a week because of a cold, but I'll be back on the treadmill this week. Even Maki wants to get in on the program. At Harris Teeter yesterday, we got a bunch of raw nuts, egg beaters, and lots of chicken. So far, I have lost about 5 pounds and I feel great. The walking with weights really makes a difference and I can feel myself getting toned and strong. Stay tuned for more progress reports.

No comments: