Friday, April 11, 2008

I finally got a fu dog!

A dog, you say, Joanna got a dog?  Is she nuts?  She doesn't have time for a dog!

Well, I'm talking about a stone dog, an ornamental dog, to guard our house.  A fu dog, sometimes called a fu lion, is a mythic creature that guarded palaces, temples, government offices and the homes of the wealthy in ancient China.  Today, fu dogs are mass produced, so anyone can have a fu dog.  Wikipedia (of course) has more information on fu dogs.  

I bought my fu dog from my favorite furniture store, Abaca Imports, in Alexandria, VA.  I love this place!  Anyway, the store started fu dogs a few years ago and I finally caved.  My fu dog isn't as fierce looking as others I have seen.  This one charmed my heart when I saw him, so I had to have him.  I will take a picture and upload to the blog this weekend.

CJ was excited about getting a dog, albeit a stone one.  He earnestly asked if he could name the dog, and I, of course, said yes.  CJ named him "fu dog."  CJ says hello and good-bye to fu dog whenever we come home or leave the house, it's very cute.

Fu dog really makes a statement now when you come up the steps to our house.  At first, I worried about people stealing fu dog, but he weighs a ton, so I think I'm fine.  Love my fu dog!

No comments: