Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Thank goodness Halloween fell on a Friday this year.  It's 8:30pm, CJ and I finished trick or treating about 45 minutes ago, and I'm beat.

I started the day with a deficit because I had several proposals and budgets due, and just as important, today was the annual pumpkin carving contest at Matrix Group.  This year, I was the designated carver for Lethal Weapon.  So, between the proposals and the pumpkin, last night was a really late night.  Check out my pumpkin at left and see what you think.  It's a little hard to see, but I carved a cat, spider and pumpkin in a window.


Halloween is always a big deal at school, so I spent the morning at CJ's school.  The kids got dressed up in their costumes, then paraded around the block.  They were so cute!  Ms. Courtney taught them to wave and say Happy Halloween to people on the street.  And they were trick or treating at the luggage shop and the local bank.  Afterward, the kids decorated and devoured cupcakes, listened to stories and put on a little show.  For the show, the kids recited Maurice Sendak's October poem about ghosts and goblins.  Very cute!

I worked furiously in the afternoon to get some proposals out; I didn't get everything done so I have some weekend work ahead of me.  Oh well.  I think half our clients left early today to go trick or treating with their kids.  At 4:30pm, a huge group of families gathered in the park behind our house for a pre-trick or treating playdate.  Then, at 6pm, there was a Halloween parade through the neighborhood, then we got down to the serious business of trick of treating.  At left is CJ holding hands with his best friend, Beckett.  These guys are buddies!

CJ was really antsy to go trick or treating.  Lucky me, the parade started before I had time to give him dinner, so by 6:30pm, CJ was wired from a lot of candy and chocolate.  Good times!  We started at the front of our neighborhood, went past our house and must have knocked on three dozen doors.   It was a beautiful evening; the weather was clear and cool, perfect for being outside.

Oh yeah, this year, I went as a bad fairy.  Check out my pink and black wig.  I got it at Target a couple of weeks ago.  When I tried it on the first time, CJ took one look at me and said, "mom, take it off" in the tone of voice you expect from an embarrassed teenager.  Several times tonight, CJ would say, "mom, show them your bad wig."  Hilarious.




The best decorated house goes to our neighbors, Seana and Duane.  The front of their house was decorated with a ghost, leaves all over the sidewalk and steps, and spooky lights.  The windows had spooky lighting and scary sounds were coming from the house.  The best part was Duane, who was dressed as the grim reaper.  Duane would sit very still on the front step; he looked like another decoration.  When the kids would come near, he would say, "boo!" and scare the daylights out of the kids and even some of the parents.  I thought I did well with my lights, pumpkins and scary skull, but our house had nothing on Duane's handiwork.

Interestingly, when I talked to CJ about trick or treating yesterday, he didn't seem to remember that he had done it twice before.  I wonder if he will remember trick or treating next year.  He's 4, so he should start having memories, right?

No comments: