Sunday, November 16, 2008

Only in Omaha

Last week, my VP and I were in Omaha, Nebraska for a meeting. I was staying at the Hilton Garden Inn because the regular Hilton was full. Guess what? The Garden Inn turned out to be a great decision.

An hour after checking in, I got a call from the manager, asking me how the room was and if I needed anything. The room was perfect for a business traveler: the desk chair could be raised and lowered, and Internet access was free. There was even a scrabble board in the lobby with a sign for guests to spell out the name of the person they'd most like to meet. So what did guests spell out? Obama, Jesus, Charo, to name a few.

The next morning, we checked out, had breakfast, then asked the front desk to call us a cab. We had a 10am meeting and it was 9:45am. The hotel had a shuttle but it didn't go as far as our meeting location. Trouble was, the cab company called back and said they wouldn't be able to send a cab for another half hour. So the shuttle driver said, "come on, I'll take you." He drove us four miles, in the rain, got lost, but promised he'd get us there.

Oh yeah, since I was suffering from a head cold, I picked up a couple of Alka Seltzer cold tablets. The woman at the front desk didn't know how much they were (they just came in) so she just gave them to me.

Would this happen anywhere else by Omaha? I'll recommend this hotel and this city anytime.

No comments: