Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Eve Celebration

I hosted Christmas Eve dinner at my house again this year. My older sister and her family were in Australia, and my brother couldn't come out from the West Coast coz he couldn't find a sitter for his Great Dane, so Christmas was going to be just our family + my mom + my younger sister and her daughter.

But, as luck would have it, we had friends in the neighborhood who didn't have plans, so we decided to join forces and have a big party. Christmas Eve turned into a wonderful, full, and lively celebration with family and some of our dearest friends.

Christmas prep this year was a lot less stressful and I think it's because my mom and niece were around to help and I took the 23rd and 24th off from work to shop, clean the house and cook. Even better, my sister brought ham and dessert; my friend Karl brought some fantastic side dishes, and Seana brought more dessert. Seriously, when everyone pitches in, entertaining for 18 isn't a big deal!

My Christmas Eve menu consisted of:
  • Corn chowder
  • Beet and goat cheese salad
  • Mushroom side dish
  • Ham with a brown sugar glaze
  • Beef tenderloin stuffed with blue cheese and mushrooms
  • Sourdough dressing with pine nuts and cranberries
  • Roasted asparagus with balsamic vinegar
  • Sesame noodles with red bell pepper
  • Leche flan
  • Brownies
  • Cheesecake
  • Fudge
  • Sugar cookies baked and decated by the kids
  • Spiced cider, beer, wine and hot chocolate
So Christmas Eve was a lot of eating, drinking, chatting and just hanging out. CJ had a blast playing with his friends from the neighborhood. We didn't do presents for the adults this year (we decided we all have everything we need and we don't need stuff in our lives), so we let the kids open a present or two, then they just played.

At the end of the evening, we just had to play some Rock Band. CJ and his friend HE had a ball singing Beatles songs. HE tried to play the drums, but it's too hard for a kid. I have recently done more drumming than singing and I absolutely love it! There's something satisfying about whacking the drums. I will probably only ever play the Easy level, but that's okay with me.

At the end of the evening, CJ and I put out some white chocolate-covered pretzels and a hand-painted sugar cookie for Santa. Mom went to bed early since she wasn't feeling well. I think she was also a little blue because the family wasn't all together. I was grateful for a wonderful evening, for my mom's long and wonderful visit, for time spent with my sister and niece, and for my wonderful friends and neighbors who turned Christmas Eve into something really festive and special!

CJ giving his friend HE a big hug for his presents.

CJ and his buddies in front of my tree.

No comments: