Monday, February 7, 2011

Money, Money, Money

This is probably very normal, but CJ is very interested in money.  I think it's because he's figured out that money lets you buy Lego Star Wars kids and cupcakes.

CJ does not get an allowance but he gets stars. Stars can be converted into money. Here's how it works. Every day that CJ is ready for school by 7:45am (meaning he's dressed, breakfast eaten, teeth brushed, pajamas put away), he gets a star. He also gets a star for if he's ready on on time for Saturday morning swimming and Sunday mass. He can also earn extra stars for helping me with special chores around the house (above and beyond his normal chores like helping me bathe the baby). Each star is worth 50 cents.

Here's the rub: if he is NOT ready on time, he not only doesn't get a star, he gets a star taken away. This has only happened once and I suspect it won't ever happen again because he was VERY upset that it happened.

CJ can convert the stars into money at any time. He's pretty much used his star money for Lego Star Wars kits. He's sweetly offered to use his money for clothes and food, but I've told him that money will treat him for those things coz it's part of my job as his mommy to buy those things for him.

Here's a funny conversation from yesterday about CJ's money. CJ badly wants a Lego Star Wars kid that cost $50. He's got $10 in star money, not nearly enough. So he decided to break out the money from his piggy bank to see if he has enough.

CJ from the living room: Mom, can you help me count my money?
Me: No, I'm feeding the baby.
CJ: But I need help.
Me: But you count money all the time at school.
CJ: But we only count a little bit.
Me: So this is the same thing, only more.
CJ: No, this is for Legos.

We're mildly considering buying a new house. CJ, Maki and I went to look at a house, which CJ promptly fell in love with. This is what he had to say:

Me: CJ, did you like the house?
CJ: Yes, can we buy it?
Me: Maybe.
CJ: I'll chip in. I have money.
Me: Yep, you're going to have to if we buy this house.
CJ: Okay, mommy!


No comments: