Sunday, July 13, 2008

Do I really need this book? Did I ever?

Maki and I are getting serious about de-cluttering our house.  We have too many magazines, too many books, too much mail lying around.  We have canceled our subscription to Wired magazine (yeah, I know, this is serious) and Parents magazine.  I went through a week's worth of mail, and I trashed dozens of catalogs.

You know it's serious when I start going through my book collection.  Let's see, I got rid of Women and Family in Rural Taiwan, to name just a few of the dozens of books I have decided I no longer want or need.  I don't even remember where or how I got that book.  Was it a poli sci class from college, a women's culture class, something I picked up at a used bookstore?  I have never read it and don't plan to (no offense to the women of rural Taiwan).  I even got rid of a bunch of nuclear disarmament books from a poli sci class over 20 years ago. 

Maki is going to see if the library wants any of the books, then I guess we'll trash or recycle the rest.

No comments: