Saturday, September 13, 2008

First Day of Pre-K

Big milestone this week. On Wednesday, CJ started 5-day pre-K.  This is a big deal for the entire family.  For CJ, it's the start of school every day, a normal school year, school for nine months out of the year.  For me and Maki, it means we have to be organized and disciplined every day so that we can all be ready and out the door in time.

What a difference a year makes.  Last year, going to school was scary and both CJ and I were anxious as we approached the classroom.  This year, we made a calendar and counted down the days until the first day of school.  CJ made me write "first day of school" on September 10, and "not yet school" on September 9.  We talked about school, we gave each other kissing hands, and CJ picked out his own clothes.

The morning of the first day, CJ got up on time, got dressed on his own, ate breakfast by himself, and we left the house early.  For the first week, the school asks parents to drop off and pick up in the classroom; in a week or two, we will be able to drop off and pick up at the curb.  CJ greeted his teacher (whom he had met during summer camp), he greeted the kids as they entered the classroom, and he happily hugged classmates from last year (there are 3).  He did ask me why I couldn't stay and why I had to go to work, but I made a graceful exit with a big hug and a kiss, and no tears (on my part or his).

When I came to pick him up, the kids were on the rug while the teacher told a story.  The kids all looked happy and relaxed.  Chatty CJ is less than talkative about school, but I hope to hear about the details of each day as the weeks go on.

During dropoff on the second day, I went to say good-bye and CJ, without even looking up at me from whatever activity he was engaged in said, "bye, mom."  I'm so proud of him!

No comments: