Sunday, September 21, 2008

We Love Our Wii Fit!

For my birthday this year, I asked Maki for a Wii fit.  Well, that was easier said than done because there is a waiting list for the Wii fit.  We finally picked up one in early August and we've been enjoying it ever since.

The Wii fit is another ingenious addition to the Wii family.  It's a piece of hardware that connects wirelessly to your Wii.  You stand on it and I guess it sends signals to the Wii about your movements based on the distribution of weight on your legs.  It acts like your personal trainer:
  • It records your weight and body mass index (BMI).
  • Based on a series of tests, it calculates your Wii age.
  • A personal trainer (person on screen) shows you how to do yoga exercises.
  • You can do balance, strength and aerobic exercises.
The Wii fit also tracks your progress against goals, records each day's activities, and tells you how long you've exercised.  The Wii fit is a little sassy.  When we haven't used it in a while, it gives us sarcastic messages like, "I see you haven't exercise in 8 days.  Exercising every day is important to reaching your goals" or something like that.  It even makes your Mii (avatar) chubbier when your BMI is above normal (obnoxious and hilarious).  My BMI was normal, but my Wii age is awful because I need to work on my balance.

Surprisingly, CJ loves the yoga exercises.  He is able to follow the instructor's move and do the poses.  He will even do balancing poses just for fun!  Maki likes the balance exercises (like Table Tilt and Slalom) while I like balance (Table Tilt) and aerobics (I LOVE Super Hula Hoop!).  For $200, this is a fun gadget and if we end up getting a little more exercise as a result, that's just gravy.


No comments: