Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Greener Cleaner

CJ and I went to the grocery store yesterday and I came home with cleaning solutions from greenworks, a new line of eco-friendly cleaners from Clorox.  The packaging is white and green; the clear plastic bottles have a light green liquid inside; the labels feature a yellow flower. Very clever packaging.

According to the label, the greenworks cleaners work as well as traditional cleaners, use biodegradable ingredients, and are never tested on animals.  
  • The all-purpose cleaner's main ingredient is a coconut-based cleaning agent, followed by corn-based ethanol and essential lemon oil.
  • The bathroom cleaner's main ingredient is also a coconut-based cleaning agent, followed by glycolic acid and essential lemon oil.
Mind you, the label still says this cleaner is an eye irritant and to call a doctor if irritation persists after flushing with water for 15 minutes.

I haven't tested them out yet; I will report back when I give them a try.  The real test will be whether or not the cleaning lady, who comes next week, likes the products.

Now, I consider myself an early adaptor greenie who is willing to pay a little extra (but not a ton more) for green or organic products.  In this case, Harris Teeter had a pretty hefty discount on the greenworks line, so that was extra incentive to buy yesterday.  In the future, if the products work, I would be willing to pay extra.  But if the product does not work, being green won't make me buy a product and yes, I would go back to the more toxic stuff.




No comments: