Sunday, August 17, 2008

Souvenir Shopping in Costa Rica

Whenever we visit a foreign country, I like to purchase local souvenirs. I'm a big shopper, so it's fun to go shopping for local crafts, artwork, jewelry, items only found locally. Heck, I'm even turning into my mom; on this trip, I did a bunch of Christmas shopping. Based on what we've seen so far, good Costa Rica souvenirs include:
  • Woodwork, including bowls, placemats, decorative boxes, card holders, small statues, etc. It's apparently illegal to cut down a tree without a permit, so artists must use wood from fallen trees. I especially like the chopping boards made of different colored woods glued together.
  • Coffee, coffee and more coffee. We have had some amazing coffee on this trip and I'm coming home with bags and bags of the stuff.  The most famous brand is Britt, but we've seen at least a half dozen brands.  I even picked up a bag of organic, shade brown coffee, which Ricardo says is important to the preservation of the environment.  The Smithsonian has even developed a certification for organic, shade-grown coffee!
  • Jewelry, some silver, but mostly made of wood and a native nut that, when polished, looks like beautiful wood.
  • Preserved butterflies.
  • Handmade paper.
  • Embroidered bags, clothing and kitchen accessories.
  • Paintings and watercolors by local artists.  I picked up some beautiful prints for my office.
I have about a half dozen bags of coffee, which strikes Maki as hilarious since I have pretty much given up coffee in favor of green tea.  On this trip, however, since the coffee has been so terrific, I have been drinking lots of coffee in the morning.


No comments: