Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Finally Got a Digital SLR Camera

People who know me know that I LOVE taking photos.  I nearly always have my little point and shoot camera with me and I don't hesitate to take photos of my kids, my co-workers, events I'm attending, yada, yada.  I'm especially prolific during trips.

I've always had point and shoot cameras, but I'd been coveting a digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera for many years.  But Maki would repeatedly remind me that an SLR camera is much bigger and doesn't easily fit into my purse or diaper bag.  He was right, so no SLR for me.

This summer, Maki and I learned about micro four thirds cameras.  They're great cameras, BUT, the most important factor to me is size.  Micro four thirds cameras are a lot smaller than standard SLR camera; they're probably about the size of a bulky point and shoot camera.

So when MJ was born and Maki asked me what I wanted as a delivery present (isn't he nice?), I asked for an SLR camera.  After a lot of research, Maki chose the Panasonic Lumix G2 camera.  Our friend Eric loves, loves, loves his Lumix camera and the reviews on Amazon were great.  For me, I like that it takes great photos, with my fancy lens I don't need a flash in most situations, I can take great action shots, I can take multiple photos in burst mode, and I can take HD video!

I have a lot to learn about SLR cameras.  For now, I take most photos on Auto mode, but I'm slowly learning about f-stops and aperture openings.  If I'm carrying a small purse, I'll still take my little Sony with me, but given the chance, I now bring my new Lumix with me.  Love it!

No comments: