Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sleep is Good

When you're a new mom, the question people always ask you is, "is he sleeping through the night?"  Well, at two months, MJ is technically sleeping through the night (doctors will tell you that 5 hours is considered sleeping through the night), but I wouldn't exactly say that we are getting a lot of sleep.

Most nights, he sleeps 5 or 6 hours for the first night stretch.  He nurses around 9pm, is asleep between 9:30 and 10:00pm, and usually sleeps until 2:30 or 3:30am.  At that time, Maki (God bless him) gives MJ a bottle and then they both go back to bed.  At five weeks old, MJ slept 7 hours one night, which was a miracle; that hasn't happened since.

I usually get up around 6:30am to get CJ's things ready for school (breakfast, lunch, backpack, library book, etc.).  MJ nurses between 5:00am and 8:00am; just depends on when he gets up.  When he wakes up determines his schedule for the rest of the day.

MJ is a champion sleeper.  After each nursing, he is awake for a half hour or an hour, then he naps.  He usually cries before falling asleep and generally needs a little snuggle time to fall asleep.  He still likes to be swaddled when he sleeps.

Since Maki gives Mj a bottle in the middle of the night, I'm getting a lot more sleep these days.  I get between 5-7 hours of sleep, so I'm functional during the day.  I'm tired but I can't complain; Maki and I can sustain this pattern for months if we need to because we're both getting more than the 2 or 3 hours we got during the first few weeks.





No comments: